Tuesday 17 May 2022

Co - working Spaces

In my new job, I work in a co-working space if I have a meeting, or just want a bit of a change of scenary. Today I was in the co-working space with no particular agenda.

It's a trendy place where I feel both overdressed and underdressed at the same time. There are exposed ducts and brickwork and I look out through large windows onto the old Majestics nightclub building that I spent hours losing my friends whilst we danced with our hands in the air trying to catch lasers. It's now been burned down and then rebuilt as offices for Channel 4, but I've not seen anyone particularly interesting around there. In fact much like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, no one ever seems to go in and nobody ever comes out.

There is apparently a roof terrace, I should ask one of the front desk staff to show me, but I feel like I've been there awkwardly too many times to be asking now, but when I hunted by myself following signs around the building I nervously and purposefuly walked up and down the same corridor before diving into the stairwell and down the stairs before anyone noticed me.

The biggest positive to the space is the coffee machine that will make a latte, cappuccino or americano by just pushing a button and the three different types of tea (English Breakfast, Green Tea and Morrocan Mint Tea) all available to sip during the day. The tea bags are all neatly presented in glass jars with labels explaining the ideal temperature for the water for each tea, but there being no way of changing the temperature of the water that comes out of the "tea" setting of the coffee machine.

In the handful of times I've been there I've observed some interesting behaviour including: 

The interview I overheard between a very young graduate age man and the CEO of a recruitment business that should have been left behind in the late 80s (if indeed should have been allowed to happen) 'Would you speak to your friends like that?' he asked the smartly, awkwardly dressed waffling apprentice type. I pretended to not be listening and spoke to my contacts like normal people wondering if I'd perhaps turned invisible or whether I was exactly invisible to people with egos the size of the CEO?

Today there was a woman who appeared to work for another recruitment firm. She was wearing a smart black strappy jump suit and seemed to be fairly corporate, but was spending a long time on a teams call with a man discussing ingredients for breakfast sandwiches "ketchup and tomato in that one, no, no, no, hash brown, and yes sausage and no, no, no" she stamped her feet visibly angered by the responses she was getting 'crack on, just crack on' she shouted and then hung up, retreating to a table where I heard further breakfast ingredient discussions. I wonder what her job was, she wasn't organising an event from what I could tell and she did mention the word "allergens" several times?

No comments:

Post a Comment