Thursday 6 August 2015

Dreaded DB!

I can't say that I've slept through a single night yet since I arrived in India due to combination of jetlag and been too hot! Last night was the same coupled with the monsoon shower and intermittent bursts of electricity which meant that the fan was going on and off at various intervals!  Then at 5:30 AM I woke up with some rather strong stomach cramps.  I took some buscopan, Imodium and paracetamol and have managed to get through the day without too much trouble, but it's all felt a bit dazed!

In terms of food hygiene I've been seriously careful to only eat vegetarian food, put hand sanitiser on before eating and after using the bathroom, avoided saucy and rich curries and drunk bottled water and avoided ice... Sigh it's all part of the experience I guess!

We had breakfast at the top of the fort with an amazing view I had mostly rich tea biscuits and a banana.  


We got into our own private transfer vehicle to Jaipur and stopped at Amber Fort and a lovely guide called Sanjay took us on a guided tour.  There was an option of riding an elephant up to the fort (and this is an item on my bucket list), however intrepid advised against riding these particular elephants because they're concerned about their treatment, so we walked up which didn't take long at all.




The tour was very interesting although as I mentioned earlier I was a little bit dazed, I did enjoy the mirror palace and some of the very ornate painted gates.




We drove a little further after the tour had finished and took some photos at the water palace.  


We then stopped off for some of the group to go to a gem stone demonstration and the rest of us went for lunch in an interesting restaurant that had a Turban Museum attached!  


After lunch we went to a block printing demonstration and I was overwhelmed with the amazing and ornate fabrics... so didn't end up buying anything at all!  However, Joe got a custom-made shirt commissioned which should arrive tomorrow and Connor went for a full three-piece sweet and I look forward to seeing the results.





We then checked into our next hotel The Wall Street which is lovely and plush and cool and most excitingly has a laundry service!  It becomes necessary when you're in this humid heat to change your clothes between 2 to 3 times a day which is fine....however I didn't bring many clothes with me and there is only so much effective washing that can be done with shower gel in a sink!

After a bit of rest we met downstairs for another briefing and city orientation walk, most of the group went out for dinner, however I took the opportunity to walk back with Lindsey (who kindly offered to keep me company) and have a bland meal of Belvita breakfast biscuits and crisps!  I'm already starting to feel better - fingers crossed Delhi belly is on its way back to Delhi without taking me with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment