Sunday 2 August 2015

A Passage to India

So I'm here, alone and this feels like one of the bravest things I've done so far. I've flown by myself quite a few times but I've always known that I'm flying towards the safety net of a good friend at my destination.  I love, travel but I also love the company of other people to share the experience with so this will be an interesting experiment!

My day started very early yesterday I got up at 3:30 AM and then got on the train to Manchester at 4:50 AM, however when I got there I discovered that my flight was not due to take off for an hour and a half after the original time.  I already had an only 2 1/2 hour connection at Abu Dhabi airport so I was a bit concerned when I got on the flight as to what would happen when we landed!  

The flight passed quickly - I sat next to a lovely couple Angie and Alan from Belfast and Liverpool who had met on Tinder and it was their first make or break holiday away together - taking it slowly they had decided to go to the Philippines for four weeks!!  They had an even tighter turnaround when the flight landed 10 minutes before their connecting flight was due to take off!  I got off the plane and there was a man holding a sign with Delhi written on it and fortunately their was a large group of people surrounding him, we rushed through the airport and through security and got on the plane with the last call sign flashing which hasn't happened to me before!  On the way I manage to meet two girls from Guiseley who were off to volunteer in an orphanage for the summer - small world!


The jet flight to Delhi was not quite as glamorous as the Etihad flight to Abu Dhabi, but I got my first taste of curry in the in-flight meal!  

I was concerned about my airport transfer because Intrepid travel hadn't quite put the booking through the night before when I checked, however I got through immigration and changed my money to rupee and retrieved my backpack.  By the time I walked out through customs I could see my name on a piece of paper.  The transfer was far more stress free than I was expecting and we drove quickly through Delhi to the Suncourt Hotel Yatri http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g304551-d609761-Reviews-Suncourt_Hotel_Yatri-New_Delhi_National_Capital_Territory_of_Delhi.html 

After a short wait I was able to check into my room have a shower and get to sleep about 6am. I now have no idea what time it is supposed to be, but at least I'm here and comfortable for now!





It occurred to me unless I make friends - I have to populate my holiday photos with selfies!  Maybe I should have bought a selfie stick at the airport?  Although that would really make me cringe!!!  I've got a couple of hours left before the orientation meeting I think I might go and suss out some food!

No comments:

Post a Comment