Monday 3 September 2012

Sneezes!

So that was 10 days away from work on holiday staying at Pefkos Beach Hotel to attend the wedding of my Brother in Law at St Pauls Bay which was incredibly beautiful, but extremely hot.




I should be feeling very relaxed, but after checking out of our room at 12pm, we didn't get on our transfer coach until half midnight and when we arrived at Rhodes Airport we were told that our 4.50am flight was delayed by an hour!  Husband managed to catch a few minutes sleep on the floor of Gate 13 and I stayed awake and read more of Lolita on my Iphone ready for Buns & Roses WI Book Club next Sunday at the most awesome Tiled Hall Cafe.  

I find that as much as I adore owning books and holding books and in particular the smell of a new book - I simply have too much stuff.  So the ability to download books onto my phone is amazing, it means I'm never stuck anywhere and not able to read, and in particular when I'm reading and come across words like platitudes or fey I can just double tap and the built in dictionary tells me what the word means.  This is clearly more appealing that lugging a copy of the OED around with me.  

We got on our flight finally and arrived back into Manchester Airport only 40 minutes later than scheduled.  Picking up our bags and getting to the train station was pretty straightforward and we only had a 5 minute wait before getting on the train back to Leeds.  (It is also worth mentioning that Manchester seems to have the friendliest airport staff of any airport that I've ever visited!).  As we were leaving the airport, I started sneezing and haven't stopped all day!  I now feel more tired than I did before we went away - so much for "relaxing holiday".  Surely there is a better way to travel which doesn't involve so much waiting around, sleeping/sitting on floors of airports?  And couldn't there be a better amount of thought put into airport design?  Rather than metal seats that people lie across, when delays set in, why not provide reclining seats that people can sleep on and take up less room and be more comfortable (and less of a trip hazard!)?  As I got off the plane I realised that I was sneezing, and since then I can't stop!  I must have picked up a cold on the plane, I don't normally get ill so this is very unfortuante.

I wisely booked tomorrow off as holiday to sort laundry and other dull post holiday stuff and I'm really glad that I did as I not only still have 14 days to take before the 31st of December this year, but also I'm exhausted!  I need another holiday to recover (!), so I'm now considering options.  I don't think that we'll be able to afford for both me and the husband to go away on holiday, so it might be a case that I go away by myself and either visit my amazing friend Rachel in Ubud in Bali which is a truly amazing and unique place, or I go shopping in New York with my also awesome friend Kate?  Or maybe I could do both?

I will probably bore you with a few more comments about my holiday, but in the meantime it's 2.30am in Greece and I'm still running on Greek time, so I'll leave you with two things that have made me happy recently - my manicured nails (this is only my 4th time in my life that I've had a manicure!) that I had done at RM UK by the lovely Georgia the day we flew out to Rhodes and my gorgeous Hell Bunny 50s style dress dress that I bought from eBay in a gamble that proved fruitful.


5 comments:

  1. yay for blogs! And of course I vote that you come visit me :)

    I can't get this comment to link to my blog. Blogspot sucks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, What blog software do you use? Everyone seems to be on Blogspot now which is why I used it. I still update Livejournal from time to time as well. My Mum loves reading your blog by the way! I have to try and book to visit you, will investigate further when I'm back in work tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wordpress (self hosted). I'm sure it's fine as a blogging platform, it just annoys me that I can't type in my name and website like any normal commenting system. Damn google trying to take over the world! Glad your mum is enjoying my blog :p I'm trying to keep up with updating it despite lack of time. Haven't been on livejournal in aaaaages, I'll have to go and have a catch up sometime.

    Really hope you come and see me soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google are pretty much taking over the world, although Google+ seems to have gone very quiet - I guess Facebook is pretty strong. I'm going to look at good times to take holiday as 14 days is a LOT to book between now and the end of the year, flights seem reasonable at the moment and I guess you can help me to suggest where I could stay. I'm thinking at some point in November would be good, what do you reckon?

      Delete
    2. yep, it's the low season now up until mid december so flights shouldn't be too expensive. KLM and Emirates are usually the most reasonable but singapore airlines and others sometimes have special offers. Of course we'll find you somewhere to stay :) shame the house is occupied or you could have had free accommodation. oh well, next time! November is cool with me! my mum is coming out then too so you could stay in the same place and go out together when I'm busy with the kids or whatever

      Delete