Wednesday 31 October 2012

Day tripping, temples, photo opportunities and tourist prices!

So again another blog entry to first be written out on WordPad as the internets aren't quite working at XL Shisha Lounge - I can log on with my Iphone and Blackberry, but not the Netbook - weird!

So today I didn't nap - hooray!  Probably a good idea too as I couldn't sleep until 2.30 am last night and ended up watching Horrible Bosses which was...erm...horrible really.  It lacked any particularly interesting twists, and likable characters and probably the only redeeming feature was realising that Colin Farrell had been playing a particularly despicable character and looked nothing like his normal attractive self.


Breakfast was a Jaffle - basically a banana and honey toasted sandwich with fruit salad again.  Rachel, Made and Kiran came and picked me up at 9 am and Made was our driver for the day.  We went up towards Kintamani and found that a lot of tourist viewpoint places are now charging tourists just to drive past!  We first of all took the opportunity to take pictures of the lovely rice terraces which really are beautiful.


We then stopped so Rachel could grab some breakfast whilst we enjoyed the view over Mount Batur  What I particularly enjoyed was that you could see a piece of green forest surrounded by black ash from when the last eruption had occurred and wiped out the vegetation around it.  



Tourist prices are very different - we paid nearly £2 each for a very basic coffee and Rachel had a banana pancake for about £2.50 - in Ubud this would cost around half this.  Made however as our "driver" went into a special room and got buffet breakfast for free for bringing us there!

We stopped off on the way to buy some fruit from a really pretty fruit stall.  Rachel let Made do the negotiation to get a better price and bought some mangosteens - which look like tiny aubergines, but when peeled reveal something that looks almost like a peeled bulb of garlic and tastes a bit like Mango.  I really like them.  I also got to try something that looked a bit like a date on the outside, but almost like a passion fruit on the inside and tasted like plum.  Neither Made or Rachel knew what it was called!  A very sweet little girl was also trying to sell us a basket in between hiding behind the fruit.



Made then drove us to the Holy Water temple - Tirta Empul - Tampak Siring Temple and I put on the sarong that I'd brought with me from home that I'd worn to Rachel's wedding in 2009 and Rachel lent me a sash.  The temple was really beautiful and the water comes from a volcanic spring and you can see the water bubbling up through the bottom of one of the very clear pools.   There are several springs which you get into and pray at each spring before moving onto the next.  You can get right in, but even though I had a change of clothes it did seem like it would be a bit of a hassle, so I opted for dipping my hand in and splashing water on my face.  We got accosted around the temple by some excitable Malaysian ladies who were desperate to have their photo taken with us...or rather Kiran!  On the way out it was quite sad as you have to walk through an area of shops and there are loads!  Rachel could hear that they were shouting out prices to the Indonesian tourists in front of us of 5000 rupiah (c35p) and then "one dollar" to us!  Rachel bought a nice hat for Maya to make up for her staying at home.  I felt almost guilty for not buying anything as everyone was trying very hard and they had obviously spent time in building up their wares for sale.




We then to grab some lunch at a place that one of Made's friends had recommended and said did some Thai food.  It didn't do Thai food and whilst I had a good set meal with a soup starter, Nasi Campur main and banana fritters with ice cream and gorgeous caramel sauce, it was pretty expensive - 165000 rupiah and Rachel was very disappointed with her soup that was tiny and 35000.  Madea again went to the "drivers" area and probably had a much better feed than we did!  I did like my main course and my dessert was particularly tasty!


We then went back to the house and I got to see Rachel's office and the new kitchen.   I didn't get to meet her cat Queenie though which was sad as she's been missing for a few days - but she did come back tonight hooray!  Rachel then dug out the wedding video which I'd not seen and was interesting.  It brought back lots of memories from the first time that I visited including Coddy's awful Abe Lincoln style beard and me before contact lenses!   


Rachel put Kiran in the Halloween pumpkin sleepsuit that I'd bought for him and we took some lovely posed photos of him next to a pumpkin that she'd picked up earlier on our trip.


Made then dropped me off at my hotel and I got a well needed shower before working out that I can Skype Coddy from an app on my IPhone - he showed me the cats and I showed him around my hotel room and I decided on my next venue for dinner - XL Shisha Lounge A trip adviser review complimented it on having "lots of Pillows" what more could I want!

I have also planned out a bit more what I'm doing for the next 5 days I'm here (can't believe that it's going so fast!  Tomorrow I'm going to do a Yoga class at The Yoga Barn - I'm going for the beginners class as I don't trust myself to know what I'm doing otherwise even though I've been doing yoga for about 6 years!  The class will be 110000 rupiah - about £6/7.  I'm then going to have a massage somewhere good.  

Then I hope to go to the Kecak fire dancing display at 7.30pm.  On Friday I will be doing a bike tour Banyan Tree Bike Tours - which I'm a bit worried about as I sweat so horribly here just walking around that I'm going to be soaking wet by doing any physical exertion!  Hopefully it will be ok - Rachel reckons it should be mostly downhill.  

Then I'm trying to get booked onto a Batik class - from I Nyoman Suradnya - hopefully Rachel will let me pay for her to come too as a thank you for being my personalised tour guide/chaperone. I am then keen to go back to Tjampuan with Rachel for a spa day - maybe we could fit it in on the same day as Batik?  Other than that what else do I want to do?  More shopping, maybe a day at the beach?  So much to fit in and so little time left!  I might just have to come back again very soon!

2 comments:

  1. I think you went a bit overboard on the saturation of these photos :p It's true we have so much stuff left to do and so little time left, arghhh! Maybe i should get a nanny to follow us round and look after the kids for the next few days :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe, but I was enjoying the novelty of all the colour - I quite like it really!!!!

    I definitely think I will need to come back again soon, I'm going to keep my eye out for cheap flights next year... either that or persuade my company that they need an office opening in Bali :-)

    ReplyDelete